3CX v16 is around the corner, and we have some exciting news to share about our Call Flow Designer. With this new release, the CFD will use a new scripting engine with deeper integration into 3CX. Furthermore, it is much more efficient as the script execution engine forms part of the 3CX core, rather than being run externally to the core. This means access to more functions as well as faster execution of apps. Overall you will be able to build more powerful apps, more efficiently.
However, it is probable that the new CFD engine will not be available before update 1 of v16. So if you depend on call flows you probably have to wait until update 1 before upgrading. This blog post serves to inform what is coming with that update.
Call flows are now tied to inbound rules
The call flow apps will no longer require a custom queue, but will be launched upon receiving an inbound call allowing you to “preprocess” a call before it is passed to a queue, IVR or extension. This not only gives you much more control but it will also greatly reduce the number of call flow apps required, as one app can handle more functions. Moreover, this new architecture provides an additional benefit: restarting the Queue Manager service when uploading a CFD app will not longer be required.
More Powerful API
The new scripting engine will provide a more powerful API to control incoming calls allowing you to:
- Monitor the progress of a call – allowing you to take control of a call if for example the call flow transfers the call and the destination doesn’t answer after some time.
- Attach information to the call, so another call flow can continue processing it, considering the information collected in a previous phase of the call. For example, an inbound call goes to Callflow1, which collects a customer ID and then sends the call to an agent. After talking to the customer, the agent transfers the call to Callflow2 to collect additional information. This Callflow2 will already have the customer ID collected by Callflow1.
- Change the Caller Name from the Callflow. For example, the caller enters a Customer ID, the Customer Name is retrieved from a database, and the Callflow transfers the call to a queue, changing the caller name to the value returned by the database.
- Attach the Callflow to an inbound rule and send the call to an IVR or queue based on outcome of the script.
- Route inbound calls based on the incoming DID and the date and time of the call.
- Route calls to different queues depending on the number of agents available in each queue.
- Validate callers using a database or web service, and route the call to different destinations depending on the outcome.
- Record audio from the caller and send it attached to an email.
Use the CFD as a code generator
You can use the CFD to create an initial version of your call flow. The CFD will then output C# code which you can edit using Visual Studio. This way you can work in C# without having to start your scripts from scratch.
More powerful Dialers
With the new Call Flow API, you will be able to track the progress of outbound calls made from a dialer. In v15.5 calls are made blindly, and there is no call result feedback. Now it will be easier to track these calls, set the result in a database for example, and move on to the next call.
Please note, that the full dialer functionality will not be available with the first release of the CFD. There will be a known limitation in the initial version: dialers will not start making calls automatically when deployed to 3CX, instead a call to the Callflow will be needed to start the dialer.
Existing 15.5 CFD projects
Current CFD projects will need to be adjusted somewhat to be able to run in v16. In most cases, an existing CFD app will not require any changes, but depending on the features you use, some small adjustments might be required. You will need to open your existing projects using the new Call Flow Designer, adjust them if necessary and then build them again to create new call flow scripts for v16.3CX is a PBX software available in Cloud Server 3CX. Contact us to find out our latest offers!